Friday, February 8, 2013

Art of Creation

I have a series of pictures and videos to share but as I'm looking at them, I'm wondering more about the Art of Creation. 

We create every day, the moment we wake up.  What we decide to wear is a creation. What we decide to eat is a creation.  How we speak to others is all a form of creation stemming from us.  Does this relate to the pictures below? Yes and no. 

Yes, it does because these items represent things from my mind and heart.
No, it does not because these items are limited forms and only samples of creation.

Boy, I didn't expect to write that. 

Why share at all?  Well, every piece is part of a whole.  Here I go... one piece of art or creation, for that matter, is a stepping stone and act of communication beyond the written or spoken word.  At times, my writing skills are... let's say, a work in progress.  But, through a stroke of a pencil, pen or brush speaks volumes.  A message is relayed and emotions are provoked, each person sees and feels what they need at that time.

You'll notice below a few pieces of work from my youth to now.  The message has changed over the years as my method of communicating was affected by my beliefs.  I felt that creating must be specific, and have meaning behind every point.  I realized that creating anything was the point.  Sure, I had the intention to make something "pretty" or "beautiful" but I became frustrated more than inspired.  I had to let it go.  Let go of the outcome, the expectation that it should be "beautiful."

No matter what, keep creating.  You'll never know what will form unless you try.


Toy Bunny
In my teens I had time on my hands to create.  I love stuffed animals and I sat down to draw this Easter bunny.  I never took an advance art class but I tried working with shadows to create depth and form for this cute bunny.


























My Hand
In 2009, after a year of separation from my partner, I was looking for my voice again.  My love of music lead me to a vocal teacher.  After a wonderful class, I drew this on the subway on my way home. I wasn't sure what I wanted to draw. But, this is what I saw.   It's was a long time since I used this skill of drawing.
 
 
Can't You See
I was feeling down and needed some inspiration.  It was a cloudy day in the fall of 2012.  As I started to walk a tune came to me.  I was lucky I had my camera. 
 
 

Beaded Butterfly
A good friend gave me seed beads.  I decided I wanted to create something beautiful so  I found a website with patterns. It was the first time I worked with wire, and it took me days to make this. I then gifted it to another friend. I put a lot of love into this beaded butterfly.  (I also created a number of earrings and bracelets which I gifted to friends.)

 
 
Sensations
I wanted to create a short video for the poem 'Sensations' from my chapbook entitled Turning Pink published by A Beret Day Book, The Ontario Poetry Society, September 2011.  I've added images from the internet and my vocals to compliment the poem.  (I'm not totally happy with the song but it is what it is.  I didn't know that I could create a video but worked it out.)
 

 
Flash Web
This image came to me in a dream.  I call it the "Flash Web."  Not all of the components of the dream are in this drawing but it is complete as it is. There are many areas of life that lead you outward but only one is clear to come back. I normally would avoid using colour because I was afraid of blending them. But I took a chance and used pencil crayons.

 
 

Out of Frustration
I was creating something out of clay and it didn't line up. I became extremely frustrated and angry with myself.  I pushed it back into the dusty corner at which it came. Oh... that's my art.  The chaos within my being. I wrote in my journal .. oh, why can't I create. Why?  Answer:TRY again.

Out of my frustration I ripped paper. Oh it felt sooo good. Why fight the urge to create? Everything is a creation. Out of my frustration I made this. Layers of paper, torn and reborn. Layers of creation and I could always add more. HA!



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Polymer Clay
After creating the above picture, breathing and a whole lot of yelling, I tried again at blending polymer clay.  It turned out fine. 
 
Releasing the Seed
More dream work art, I see images of two hands which are different colours that represent love and healing. 
 

 
 
Spirit's Voice
This piece came to me as I was singing a healing song for my friend in distress.  I started with the heart.  I used both hands to draw this image.
 
Spiral Flower Dream
My dreams are full of colour and images.  I wanted to document it on paper with colour instead of just writing it out.  It started out grey but as the dream progressed colour emerged creating a personal mandala.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment