Thursday, August 15, 2024

Small Beings of our World

When I was a child, I loved to play with ants. I would let them crawl over my hands, and I'd watched how they would find their way back to the earth. I loved getting down into the dirt, and I watched how ants worked together. I would sit there for hours as the ants worked around my hands or feet. They did not seem to care that I was involved in their lives.

Over the years, I found that I adore connecting with different insects. Yes, I still get a bit jumpy when a butterfly is about to land on me or when a spider crawls over my arm. However, insects and other small living beings have very delicate legs, and body parts. If I move too fast I could kill them without paying attention.

Whenever I take the time to be outdoors without rushing to one place or another I stop and connect with nature. I like to observe many small creatures which includes bees, ants, or spiders. I love watching how some of the insects interact with each other. I've seen gentleness and some aggressive behaviours from insects. The insect world is vast, and fascinating even within a 10 square foot area. I'm certain that globally the insect world is phenomenal.

I love contemplating how insects function within an urban environment where most people pass them by without realizing how amazing, and structurally important their existence is to our overall environment.

Insects, be them fliers or crawlers, have short lives which has large impacts on humans lives. From my observations, insects clean areas by consuming and returning nutrients to the soil. Some insect species works with other species to collect or store food. There is an interdependence within the insect world that strengthens their community which includes the soil, water, and sources of food. The insect community is essential to other communities as well such as the birds, fish, plants, trees, water, and all of life not to forget humans.


My request for others today is to think about the insect world even for a few minutes. You might be disguised by insects or you might be curious about them. Either way, insects live with us everywhere, and connects with us on many levels.

How do you see insects and the small beings of our world?
What do insects do for you without your knowledge?
How do you interact with the insect world on a daily basics?

I'm sure everyone has an insect story that they would love to share.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment