Sunday, November 20, 2011

Out of the Blue

One Tuesday night in 2008, I was late getting home from work.  I wasn’t in the mood to make dinner and I didn’t want pizza.  The closest fast food place was KFC.  I didn’t particularly enjoy their chicken because I always had a grease overload within minutes.  At the time, I didn’t really care because I had to feed my teenage boys.
Since it was a “Toonie” Tuesday, and the store was packed.  I stood in line trying to decide what I wished to order.  I really wanted to have lasagna which a chicken joint doesn’t have.  Disappointed with my options, I decided to hum under my breath.  Whenever I hum or sing, it always calms my nerves.
As I was humming, I unconsciously was swaying left to right, it is a self smoothing method and oh boy, does it work.  I was the fifth person in a line out of 10.  I was approached by a man in a suit.  He was about 6 feet tall and his suit was bagging on him.  He didn’t say anything, he just held out a $20 bill. 
I stopped humming and swaying and I stared at his hand with the bill.  The other customers began to watch us.  I push the man’s hand away from me.  “Sir, what are you doing?” I finally asked him.
He still didn’t say anything but he showed me the $20 bill again.  I asked him if he wanted me to order something for him.  No response.  I told him I didn’t need the $20, as I showed him my wallet full of $20s too.  Still, he didn’t respond.  One customer in the line said, “just take the money, if you don’t I will.” 
The man turned towards that customer with a frown on his face.  He just wouldn’t leave me alone.  I reluctantly took the $20.  Once the money was in my hand the man walked away.  He didn’t say one word throughout the whole experience.  I was not sure what to do.  I never had someone out of the blue hand me money for no reason at all.  I was playing many different scenarios in my mind and I thought he wanted something more from me. 
It was finally my turn to order and the cashier asked if I was okay.  She asked if I wanted to call the police.  ‘Call the police’ and what would I say, ‘officer, this strange man handed me $20 for no reason.’ I’m sure the officer would put me in handcuffs because I was wasting his time.  Again, the other customers shared their opinions.  I decided I would keep the money but only because he left.
As I was walking with my order towards the doors, I spotted him.  He was sitting at the side with his head down.  He didn’t even notice me.  I walked over and put the $20 on the table in front of him.  “Sir, I can’t take your money because I don’t feel comfortable doing so.”
He then looked up and shook his head in disapproval.  I felt even worst.  I was worried that he would follow me home.  So, I sat down in the seat next to him and I watched him.  I never saw him before and I wanted to know exactly what he looked like.  He was an African-American man, about 50 years old.  He had fine smile lines on his face and his eyes were very caring.  He didn’t talk and it clearly didn’t faze him that I sat there.  He stood up and walked out of the store leaving the money on the table.
I had no choice but to keep it.  To this day, I still don’t understand what happened.  I felt guilty for taking the money and I still wonder why he felt the urge to give it to me.  Maybe he was moved by my humming and calmness.  Maybe he was an abundance angel and I just didn’t know how to be grateful for the blessing that he gave me.  So, right now, I am saying, “THANK YOU, MISTER FOR THE GIFT THAT YOU GAVE ME THAT DAY.  THANK YOU, SIR FOR YOUR KINDNESS AND YOUR GENEROSITY!”

No comments:

Post a Comment